Sunday, March 15, 2015

Home Made Custard Cream

Seeing a friend posted profiteroles and those contestant in the cooking competition preparing it, felt like trying it out on my own. But, wait, I need some custard cream and I know we can do that at home without using the custard powder.

So, started my googling and did a little adjustment to meet what I have in the kitchen.


Ingredients
  • 1.5 cups hilo milk
  • 0.5 cups of light thicken cream
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar (need to reduce this, I find it too sweet)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp flour
Steps:
  1. First, mix the milk and cream together in a saucepan. Put it on high fire and leave it to simmer till it starts to bubble, lower the fire to as low as possible. I'm using the electric cooktop and I remove the entire saucepan from the heat.
  2. Mix the egg yolks with sugar, vanilla extract, salt, cornstarch and flour till even.
  3. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the milk mixture (at this point, I had return the milk mixture to the cooktop, but did not turn on the power yet.
  4. Make sure you continuously stir the mixture so that the egg does not curdle up and ended up with cooked yolk rather than custard.
  5. Once both the mixture are evenly mix together, turn on the fire up high for half a min while constantly stirring the mixture. Once thicken, quickly remove from heat and still stirring it to ensure that there is no plastic like layer formed up and this help the mixture to cool down.
  6. Pour it into a container, cover it up and let it cool in the fridge.

No comments: