Thursday, July 28, 2016

Sourdough Starter

I remember bout a year or more back, I had attempted to make sourdough but failed terribly. This time, not sure what got into me, I decided to retry again.

The starter took bout 6days (winter now) to be ready.

So, what I did was stir 113g of flour with 113g water (warm). Cover it loosely. This time, I used all plastic, plastic container and plastic spoon (I think it makes a difference. Do not use metal).

Place it by the windowsill in the afternoon and in the evening, put it near any warm source.
Next day, add another 113g flour with 113g warm water, continue for 5day.

By the 5th day, I took out 113g of the bubbly starter to add in 113g of water and 113g of flour in a separate container and place near to a warm source.



By the next morning, the levain has doubled and looks really fluffy and spongey. This is ready to be used.


According to many websites, the bubbly starter is ready  to be used when it can float on the water. I was so happy when mine manages to float.

No comments: